About Us FAQs

Frequently asked questions relating to Visa

Q1:Does one need visa to visit India?
Ans:Yes, all foreigners except nationals of Nepal and Bhutan require visa to visit India.

Q2:Can visa be issued on arrival at Indian airport?
Ans:"Visa on arrival" facility click here

Q3:Does a person transiting through Indian airport for onward travel to third country require visa?
Ans:A person does not need visa if he remains within the premises of the airport and not going beyond immigration point of the airport. However, if one is required to leave the airport either to catch onward flight from domestic terminal or to stay in a hotel even for a few hours or for any other purposes, he/she needs to apply for a transit visa. Transit visa is issued for a maximum period of 72 hours on production of confirmed ticket for onward journey from India to third country. Transit visa has to be utilised within 15 days of its issue. For stay more than 72 hours, tourist visa would be required.

Q4:What are the types of visa and the documents required to apply those visas?
Ans:There are different types of visas such as Tourist, Transit, Business, Employment, Student, Conference, Journalist, Research, Diplomat /Official. Detailed information and requirements for those visas is indicated separately in the relevant column on this website.

Q5:Can tourist visa be extended while in India?
Ans:No, Tourist visa is non-extendable. Foreigner has to leave the country before the expiry of tourist visa.

Q6:Can employment/student visa be extended by Embassy of India, Copenhagen after the expiry of previous visa?
Ans:No, Embassy of India, Copenhagen can not extend employment/student visa nor issue a fresh visa after expiry of existing visa. The applicant has to apply for the extension of employment/student visa in India with the relevant supporting documents.

Q7:When the validity of visa starts?
Ans:The validity of visa starts from the date of issue. It does not start from the date of entry into India. For example, if a visa is issued on 10 April, 2012 for six months, its validity starts on 10 April, 2012 and expires on 9 October, 2012. One can visit and stay in India during that period only He/she has to complete outward journey from India on or before 9 October, 2012.

Q8:What period the passport should be valid while applying for visa?
Ans:The passport should be valid at least four months more than the period of visa applied for.

Q9:Do I need to make an appointment to submit visa application at the Embassy.
Ans:No, appointment is not required. The applicant can submit the visa application at the Embassy of India, Copenhagen between 9.30 Hrs to 1200 Hrs.

Q10:What is the normal processing time of visa?
Ans:The normal processing time of visa is 2-3 days, if all the documents are in order. The passport with visa is delivered in the morning every working day between 0930-1100 Hrs after it is ready. The processing of visa in respect of non-Danish citizens and Travel Document holders takes longer than usual time. Processing of certain cases involving consultation with Indian authorities may also take longer than the usual time.

Q11:What is the mode of payment of visa fees?
Ans:Visa fee can be paid at the Embassy through Dankort or bank transfer (Embassy of India Account No: 4001-11421733  with Danske Bank)

Q12:Can visa fee be refunded when someone later changes his/her mind to visit India?
Ans:No, visa processing fee is not refundable under any circumstances. Visa processing fee can not be refunded even when visa is refused.

Q13:Can a person staying outside Denmark apply for visa at Embassy of India, Copenhagen either through post or in person?
Ans:No, only person resident in Denmark can apply at Embassy of India, Copenhagen. Those staying outside Denmark should apply to the Indian Mission in that country.

Q14:Can non-Danish citizens staying in Denmark apply for visa at Embassy of India, Copenhagen?
Ans:Yes, non-Danish citizens staying in Denmark can apply for visa (short term visa not exceeding one year) at Embassy of India, Copenhagen. However, their minimum stay in Denmark should be more than two years with documentary proof to enable processing of visa. For stay less than 2 years, visa processing takes longer than the normal time.

Q15:Can a person resident in Denmark apply for visa by post? If so, what is the procedure?
Ans:Only applicants who are exempted from Biometric enrolment can apply by post. The payment has to be through Dankort or bank transfer (Embassy of India Account No: 4001-11421733  with Danske Bank)

FAQs on Passport Services  

Q.No.1.  Do I have to come to the Mission in person to apply or can I send the application by post? 

There are two methods of applying for an Indian Passport:

  • Deposit the application form and the documents in person at the Embassy. Once the passport is ready for collection, the applicant will be notified via email/call. Unfortunately, there is no online tracking system available
  • Send the application form and documents by post to the Embassy (in this case, a return envelope must accompany the application with the applicant's address for return of the Indian Passport)

Q.No.2.  Do I need to bring my new-born/minor for submitting the passport application or while collecting the passport.

It is not obligatory to bring newborn/minors at the time of submission of applications or during the collection of passports. Either of the parents can come and get the service required for their children. Parents are requested to carry their photo ID proof while visiting on behalf of children.

Q.No.3.  Can I come and collect the passport on my friend’s behalf?
It is suggested that the person passport belongs to; submits it and collects it for himself/herself. In case of extreme emergency only close family members can collect the passport along with an authority letter signed by the applicant and a photo ID proof of the individual collecting it.

Q.No.4.  Kommune isn’t ready to put my child’s name as I want. According to them, father’s name cannot be child’s surname. What should I do?
You can get a letter from the Embassy stating the validity of the name in India. The authorities generally accept this letter. However, it is upto the Kommune to take the final decision.

Q.No.5.  What is a jumbo Passport? 
Jumbo passport booklet contains 60 pages. Frequent travelers may apply for it.

Q.No.6.  How long does it take to issue a new passport? 
The processing time is 4 weeks, if the passport application is complete in all respect. In case a reference is to be made to the original Passport Issuing Authority, it might take longer time.

Q.No.7.  Do I need to enclose my original passport with my passport application? 
Yes, the original passport needs to be submitted to us in case the application is sent by post.

Q.No.8.  What documents are required for endorsement of my wife’s/husband’s name in my new passport?
For endorsement of spouse’s name, please enclose a copy of marriage certificate (duly attested by the state government) along with a photocopy of the spouse's passport.

Q.No.9. How can I ensure that my Indian address is printed in my new passport? 
While filling the application form online, please mention the address that you want in new passport. It can be;

  • The address mentioned on your current passport OR
  • The address written on CPR card(in case you want Danish address) OR
  • Your new address for which you will have to provide either an Aadhar card OR two different address proofs with the new address (Voter ID card, driving license, passbook copy of nationalized banks, utility bills etc.) Out of the two proofs provided, one has to be a photo ID proof.

Q.No.10.  What document should I send to get ECNR stamp on my passport? 
The practice of putting ECNR stamp on passport has been discontinued. Therefore, no document is required to be sent for this purpose.

Q.No.11.  My passport is still valid. However, all pages of my passport are exhausted. What should I do? Can I have an additional booklet? How can I apply for the same?
If nearly all pages in your passport have been utilized, you may apply for re-issue of passport. You can apply for a normal MRP booklet or a Jumbo MRP booklet. Additional booklets are not issued now. You will have to provide a signed letter stating the same.

Q.No.12.  My passport is due to soon expire. When is the latest time I should apply for re-issue?
Application for re-issue of passports, which are expiring within 12 months, can be accepted for processing/granting. If there are any changes/corrections in the details of the applicant on first inner cover page of the passport, a new passport should be applied. For e.g. for a passport getting expired on 30/03/2022, the application for re-issue can be submitted any time after 01/04/2021.

Q.No.13.  I understand that after issue of new passport, my old passport will be cancelled. Does this mean that all valid visas on my old passport will also be cancelled?
The old passport is required to be cancelled at the time of issue of new passport but the Embassy does not cancel the visas on the passport.  However, some countries require that the visa should be on a valid passport.  Please check the regulations of the relevant country.

Q.No.14.  I have a hand-written passport, which still has validity for more than a year. Can I apply for a Machine-Readable Passport? 
Yes. You should apply for re-issue of a passport on this ground.

Q.No. 15.  I would like to change my Indian address in my passport. Will I have to pay extra charges for this? Can this change be reflected in my current passport?
You will have to apply for a fresh passport as now corrections are not allowed in the laminated pages of the passport. Please provide 2 different address proofs for the same or a copy of your Aadhar card.

Q.No.16.  Would the renewal of my passport change my passport number.
Yes. A new passport booklet is issued with a new number and new validity.   

Q.No. 17.  I have been recently issued my new passport. However, I notice that there is a minor mistake in printing of my name / father’s name /mother’s name. How can I get it rectified? 
Please bring in or post your passport and other supporting documents including your previous cancelled passport (mentioning correct names) to the Embassy. If there is a printing mistake or typo by the Embassy, a new passport will be issued without any fees. But if there has been a mistake from applicant’s end while filling the online application, you will have to start a new application and pay the fee again.